Thursday, May 30, 2013

He who mocks the poor shows contempt for the Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished. Proverbs 17:5

As I was reading this verse I thought about the so called Christians who have been making comments about why they think Oklahoma was struck with a deadly tornado. They assume it's because of their sin. To me, it seems that they are gloating about it. First, let me say that if sin was what brought it on, then none of us would be exempt, for all have sinned. Second, when a person makes comments like those I often wonder what sin may be lurking in their own hearts. You've probably heard the saying, "When you point a finger, you've got three pointing back at you." Well, something like that anyway. It has been my observation over the years that generally people like to judge the very thing they may be guilty of themselves. Oh, it may be dressed up in a different package, but the sin underneath the surface is the same.

My thinking is this: Rather than accuse and condemn people in the midst of tragedy, we should be loving them, supporting them, and helping them in the healing process. Isn't that what love does? As imitators of Christ, shouldn't love be our response? 1 John 4:8 tells us, "Whoever does not love does not know God." God loved us so much that He gave His only begotten Son. And Christ laid down His life while we were enemies of God. God gave. Jesus gave. And this was done for sinners.

I was reminded of the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector found in Luke 18:9-14:

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:
Two men wet up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men-robbers, evildoers, adulterers,-or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God have mercy on me, a sinner.'
I tell you, that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

When we begin to think that we are so much better than other people we are walking in pride. And we all know that the Bible tells us that pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. God's ways are not our ways and we should not presume to know why He allowed this tornado to hit that city. All we need to do is pray and love them, and offer assistance if we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment