Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Years ago I had a worship leader who gave our worship team a survey. He asked the question, "If you had to sing from behind a wall or curtain, would it bother you?" Well, that's as close as I can remember it being worded anyway. I did say it was years ago, right? My response to the question was that it didn't matter to me if I was on stage, behind a curtain or a wall. It wasn't about me being seen. Being on the team was about worshipping God and uplifting His name in praise. Truthfully, hiding behind a wall would have been more comfortable for me at that time. I would have felt more free to be myself and worship in a way I would have liked to.

Today I was thinking about something I heard a worship leader say. He said that when a person is desperate for God it can get messy. As I pondered that thought I concluded that if you're truly that desperate you wouldn't care what people thought about your worship. You would do whatever you wanted, whether it was dancing, shouting, or laying prostrate on the floor. You wouldn't care how you looked when you cried. All you'd care about was God. He would be your focus. I may not be messy at every service, but I certainly want to express myself freely. And I'm glad that I am at a church that allows that freedom in worship.


No comments:

Post a Comment