Saturday, December 28, 2013

While He Still Knows Who I Am




As I listen to this song I am reminded of my Daddy. For the past 3 1/2 years I spent a lot of time with him. He had Alzheimer's. I would go sit with him on Thursdays, and go to every doctor appointment with him. I watched the gradual decline. I remember telling some of the family that they needed to come see him while he still knew who they were. Some came, but others weren't able to. And now he's gone and they will never have that opportunity again. That's not to say they could help it. Sometimes distance, obligations, and your own health prevent you from doing what you want to do. So this isn't a judgment against anyone. But it is a reminder for those who have family and friends suffering from this terrible disease...if you are able, go see them while they can still remember who you are. There will come a day when they may forget you. Fortunately for me, Daddy never forgot who I was. But he forgot other people or confused them with someone else. Often times he would think my step brother Curtis was his brother Bobby. Not everyday, but on occasion. Curtis lived in the house with him. So it wasn't just a matter of seeing you all the time that made him remember. It's just how the brain worked on that particular day. Daddy hated the confusion he felt at times. He would tell doctors to ask me or my step sister for the answers to their questions. He knew that he trusted us. He just didn't understand what was going on. I really HATE Alzheimer's. It's a cruel disease.







No comments:

Post a Comment