Saturday, August 17, 2013



Okay, so some of you are probably questioning why I'm putting this song on my post. It's not a Christian song. Well, first let me say, I don't listen to just "Christian" music. I love musical styles from all genres. Besides that, I think the lyrics to this song have a meaningful message even for the believer. Let's take a look:

"Drive"

Sometimes I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear 
And I cant help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer 
It's driven me before, it seems to have a vague 
Haunting mass appeal 
Lately I'm beginning to find that I 
should be the one behind the wheel 

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there 
With open arms and open eyes yeah 
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there, I'll be there 

So if I decide to waiver my chance to be one of the hive 
Will I choose water over wine and hold my own and drive, oh oh 
It's driven me before, it seems to be the way 
That everyone else get around 
Lately, I'm beginning to find that when I drive myself, my light is found 

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there 
With open arms and open eyes yeah 
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there, I'll be there 

Would you choose water over wine 
Hold the wheel and drive 
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there 
With open arms and open eyes yeah 
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there, I'll be there

Okay, so did you get anything from that? I think that it has a lot to say about allowing fear to steer our course. And to me, it's also telling us that a vast majority fall prey to the grip of fear. Sometimes I think that when we hang around those who are afraid we too join in and feed off of that fear. Oh, don't get me wrong, we all have struggled with fear in our lives. But it's what you do in the midst of fear that will determine the grip it has on you. I find that if I am afraid to do something, surrounding myself with people who are fearless prompts me to be a bit more fearless myself. Of course, that can work in a good or bad way, depending on the crowd you're running with. The Bible is full of scriptures that say, "fear not." So I would venture to say that fear is not a good thing when we're following the leading of God in our lives. But then, there is a healthy fear. That kind of fear is our warning system that is designed to keep us safe from harm. Like when a rattlesnake is shaking its rattler, about to strike you. Common sense should tell you not to try to pick it up. 

I don't want to be foolish when it comes to ignoring signs that something is harmful. But I also don't want to be foolish and allow fear to prevent me from living out the destiny to which I am called. I want to be obedient to the leading of the Lord, and step out in faith to do all that He has for me to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment