Thursday, August 15, 2013

When people are hurting, they want answers. And often times they come to the church to seek those answers. While we may not have the answers they are looking for, we can offer our love and support in their time of grieving. In recent weeks many people have been murdered in this city. Paxon Revival Center has been the church to step up to the plate and offer their love, their support, and their facility for the homegoing services of those whose lives were lost. As a result, Pastor Dobbs has received criticism. As much as I hate it, that is to be expected when you are doing what God would want you to do. People will mock you and insult you. They will ridicule you and make accusations about your motives. I thought about these verses in John 15:18-20:

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also."

It's bad enough when the world criticizes you, but often times the people who should have your back (your brothers and sisters in Christ) do the very same thing. I think my daughter said it best when she text messaged me earlier (after I told her about the criticisms). She said:

"Instead of criticizing the church that did do what Jesus would have done, maybe the other people should be more concerned with why their church didn't. The problem is shunning other people just because they don't go to your church instead of embracing them in their time of need and showing them love." 

This is not to say that other churches haven't extended love and support. I don't know who has or hasn't. All I know is, people are quick to assume things and they usually don't have a clue. Pastor Dobbs, I applaud you and your church for offering people a place to feel loved, a place to seek comfort and support in their darkest hour. Hold your head high! 

No comments:

Post a Comment