Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"For our light and momentary trials are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

A few days ago I was driving to my son's house when I noticed storm clouds looming overhead. It wasn't raining yet, but I figured it soon would be. Sure enough, as soon as I got to where the clouds were, the rain started pouring down. I was thinking about the blue skies I had previously been under and how it changed so quickly. It's kind of how life is. We can be sailing along smoothly without a care in the world when all of a sudden some trial knocks us upside the head. We didn't expect it and often times, we have no clue how to deal with it. I'm not just talking about dealing with it in the natural. I am referring to how we handle it in a spiritual sense. As believers, we should be prepared for these things. The word tells us that we will face trials. Knowing this, we have to be prepared for how we will respond before we're smack dab in the middle of the trial. That requires spending time meditating the word, and spending time with God in prayer, learning to recognize his voice. These things help to develop a strong relationship with God, and help us to understand what God has to say about the various trials we face. It also helps us to know that we can trust him even if our prayers aren't answered in the way or in the timing we think they should be. It's a lot harder to trust after the fact. Think about it. If you've never had a relationship with someone and then find yourself in a place where you need their help, do you feel confident that they will do what they say? Probably not. Oh, there may be times when you will have to trust someone you're not familiar with, but it's so much easier to trust the ones you know well. And trusting God is much easier when you have an intimate relationship with him. We all go through things in life. And we will most likely have to go through more trying times at some point. Building our faith in the little things helps us to stand firm when faced with bigger things. That reminds me of the story of David and Goliath. In 1 Samuel 17:33-37 it says:

33 Saul replied, “You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.”
34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35 I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. 37 The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.”

David knew that God had helped him in smaller things (though I would think those animals were pretty ferocious) and it gave him the confidence that God would be with him in the bigger battle.

At times people have told me, "I don't have the faith you have." As I hear their words, I am reminded of my own questions, doubts and fears. They don't see me as I do. There are times when I really struggle with things. Like why did my cousin die when she had faith for her healing? In those times, I seek answers. And guess what; I may not find them. There are some things in this life that we will never fully understand. But we have to trust that God knows best and that in the end we will see that all of it was working to fulfill his plan. It can be hard, especially if I'm slacking on spending time in the word. It's all about focus. I find that my faith seems strongest when my eyes are fixed on Jesus, not on the problems or cares of life.

In Matthew 14:25-29 we read the story of Peter walking on water.

25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear.
27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”
28 And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”

Peter was fine walking on the water as long as his eyes were focused on Jesus. But the moment he looked at the storm around him, he began to sink. And that's what happens with us. If we can remain focused on God, the trials around us will not cause us to lose heart. Our faith will help us stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment