Thursday, October 31, 2013

It's funny how people call to ask me advice about things that I have just struggled with myself. Oh, I know the proper response, but it's not always because I applied it in my own situation. I suppose I learned from my mistakes. But I have to wonder if  my telling them the right way to respond (when I didn't necessarily respond that way) is a bit hypocritical. I know I'm not perfect. Far from it. But sometimes people have placed me on this pedestal and think I have my act together and that I don't deal with their kind of issues. That's just not the case though. And I've learned over the years that when you place someone on a pedestal it's a long fall when they let you down. It's a lot of responsibility to place on someone's shoulders. Anyway, they continue to seek me out to answer their "spiritual" questions.

Some have jokingly said I missed my calling. I'm not so sure about that. I just think I know how to listen to what people are saying and I think before I speak.There have even been times when I waited a couple of days before I responded. It gave me time to pray and make sure my answer was in line with the word. It kind of depends on what I am being asked. I guess if I'm honest with myself I should see that the times when I react hastily and lose my temper are those times when I'm not listening and I'm not thinking before I speak. Which brings me to another point....self control. That's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. It's something I need to work on in several areas of my life. I think if I can get a handle on that, then a lot of issues would be resolved.

I guess in some ways, when people ask my advice, it helps me as much as it helps them. It's like a light bulb goes on as I'm talking about it. You know what they say, "It's so much easier to see another person's flaws than to see your own." But I've found that, in seeing another person's problem, and listening to their heart, it often times can bring conviction for things I may be struggling with. And other times it's confirmation about things I've been hearing.

I was sitting here thinking about David and his affair with Bathsheba. Surely, he had to know it was wrong. But why did it take Nathan having to tell him some story about a rich man with lots of sheep and cattle taking a lamb from a poor man for him to see that? David was appalled when Nathan told him this story. He wanted the man punished. And then Nathan says to him, "That man is you." Ouch. Nathan presented a problem to David and asked for advice. And David was quick to give it. But once Nathan revealed it was about him and Bathsheba, that revelation brought David to a place of repentance.

I know this isn't a well thought out blog...I'm just talking off the top of my head and not really trying to edit my thoughts. So hopefully someone can read and understand what I'm trying to say here. When I see a person's flaws, it would be easy for me to make judgments. But if I take the time to listen and to truly hear what is in someone's heart, and if I keep my mouth shut until I hear from God, perhaps I will see the mercy that needs to be displayed. It's the same mercy I would desire. And it's the same mercy we've all been shown when Christ died for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment