Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Today I was thinking about what it means to be happy. To my grandsons happiness might mean getting some new game or some Legos. Already my youngest grandson is waiting for Christmas so he can get "just one more set" of Legos. He's crazy about them. But once the new wears off he's ready for something else. When we base our happiness on some "new" thing in our lives, we can rest assured that once the newness wears off, we will need another fix to take its place. This would imply that happiness is fleeting. But is it? Can we have happiness regardless of what's going on in our lives? Does happiness require some new thing, some new stimulation?

Happiness is defined as a mental or emotional state of well being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment or pure joy. It can also be a sense of satisfaction or fulfillment.

Over the years I have discovered that the times when I was the most happy were the times when I was least focused on me and my circumstances. That's not to say that I didn't still have to handle situations that arose, but I didn't fall prey to that negative force that tries to pull me down when bad things happen. I maintained a state of hope. When trials come (and they will come) I have to have previously determined in my heart that no matter what happens, all things work together for my good. I may not see it in the here and now, but I can believe it. My cousin, Marie went through a long ordeal with lupus, and then cancer. Throughout her battle she always reminded herself that something good would come from it. She would tell me, "if even one person's life is touched by what I am going through, it will all be worth it." I was amazed by her positive attitude. Even if the worst thing happened (her death....which did happen in January 2010), she knew that she had a hope for the future. In all my life I don't think I've ever seen a happier person. She didn't let the stresses of life steal her joy. And that was key.

Worry can steal your peace and ultimately, your joy. This can have us thinking that if the thing that we're worrying about was taken care of, we'd be happy. But chances are, even if we get that one thing handled, it may not make us happy. Something else will always come along to take its place. And there we go, falling right back into a depression, and a state of unhappiness. So the question is, how can we maintain happiness no matter the circumstances? First and foremost, spending time with God is essential. When we draw close to Him, when we study and meditate the word, when we pray, and when we live out his word, our faith and trust in him will grow. We will know what he has to say about our trials and it will help to alleviate any fears we may have about what we are going through. Philippians 4:6-8 says this:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Let's examine that for a minute. This is telling us not to be anxious about anything. When we have needs, we can present them to God with thanksgiving, knowing that he will take care of it. Oh, it may not be exactly how we plan, but we can place our trust in him to see us through whatever comes our way. It also says that by presenting our prayers and requests with thanksgiving we will have a peace that surpasses all understanding. People won't know how we can be at peace when our circumstances are so chaotic. Sure, the enemy will try to come in and fill your mind with all kinds of junk to make you go back to worrying. But substitute those thoughts with the kind of thoughts this verse tells you: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. When you're thinking like that it will be much easier to maintain happiness. 

Another thing that I have found that makes me happy is when I am doing something for someone else. There are so many people in this world who have needs and hurts far greater than my own. When I take my eyes off of what I'm going through, and what I'm feeling, and focus on someone else's need, it lets me see things in a different light. Perspective is a very powerful thing. If we think we have a horrible life, then that is what we will have. It is essential for us to recognize that our thinking is pivotal in the determination of our happiness. Have you ever experienced something with another person and had different ways of remembering it? I have. And because we thought differently about it, we responded differently. The mind truly is a battlefield. We have to arm ourselves with the word of God to fight against things that aren't lining up with God's perspective. Wrong perspectives can steal our joy.

All that being said, we can say that spending time with God, not worrying about our circumstances or what may or may not happen in the future, and changing how we view things are ways we can live happier lives. 
There's a lot more to be said on this subject and I would love to touch on this again at some point. But for now, I will close....

~jan~

No comments:

Post a Comment