Monday, September 23, 2013

The other day I was riding home from picking up my grandsons. They were spending the night with me. A conversation with my youngest grandson went like this:

Bryce: You're weaving.
Me: Does your dad say that to your mommy? (I assumed he had heard that somewhere)
Bryce: No, my papa does.
Me: Oh, that figures.
Bryce: You're weaving again.

A funny little conversation, but as I thought about it I was reminded of something very important. Bryce thought I was weaving because of a slight curve in the road. And he was quick to tell me so. But how many times have we watched as friends began to weave? Slight changes in their behavior that strike us as odd should be warning signals that perhaps they are veering off course. Whether a person is a believer or not, this could be a significant moment where we may look back and think, "I knew they were headed in that direction." Maybe it's drugs or alcohol abuse. Whatever the problem, addressing it early on is best.

For the believer, when we see someone caught in a sin, Galatians 6:1 instructs us to gently restore them. We're also told to be careful when doing so. It's so easy to get caught up in something, even if we think we're immune to it. Maybe I should say, "especially if we think we're immune to it." Perhaps you may think that, because you have some issue in your own life that you shouldn't say anything. I mean, wouldn't that be like the "pot calling the kettle black?" Matthew does tell us to remove the speck in our own eye first, doesn't it? And we all know that the minute we attempt to point out something in another person's life, we are setting ourselves up for that "judge not lest ye be judged" speech. So what do we do? Well, first deal with anything you need to deal with. But don't let some little thing in your life put the brakes on helping another person steer clear of trouble. Depending on what it is we're talking about, you may need to say something early on because it's dangerous to the person's well being. And out of a genuine concern for their welfare it should be our aim to attempt to keep our friends and family from harm. Don't allow a fear of how they will respond prevent you from trying to help your friend. A real friend speaks the truth in love. And that is the key....love. We aren't seeking to come across as holier than thou. We aren't trying to make judgments. And that has to come across loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment